As a real estate investor in Charleston, SC, I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen houses that smell like mildew, mold, and even worse. But I’ve also seen houses that smell amazing, like fresh baked cookies or freshly brewed coffee.
The smell of a house can make a big difference in its marketability. A smelly house is going to be harder to sell, and it’s going to sell for less money. So if you’re thinking about selling your house, it’s important to make sure it smells good.
Here are some of the most common odors that can make your house unsellable:
- Pet odors: Pet urine and feces can be very difficult to remove, and they can create a strong, foul odor. If you have pets, it’s important to clean up after them regularly and to use an enzymatic cleaner to help remove the odor.
- Moisture: Moisture can cause mold and mildew growth, which can create a musty odor. If you have a water leak or if your house is in a humid climate, it’s important to fix the problem and to ventilate the area to prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Garbage: Garbage that is not disposed of properly can create a foul odor. It’s important to take out the trash regularly and to keep the garbage cans clean.
- Food: Food that is left out can also create a bad odor. It’s important to put food away properly and to clean up any spills immediately.
- Tobacco smoke: Tobacco smoke can create a lingering odor that is very difficult to remove. If you smoke in your house, it’s important to quit smoking or to smoke outside.
- Body odor: Body odor can be a problem if there is not enough ventilation in the house. It’s important to take showers regularly and to use deodorant.
If your house has any of these odors, it’s important to take steps to remove them before you try to sell it. You can hire a professional cleaner to help you, or you can try to do it yourself.
Here are some tips for removing odors from your home:
- Clean with an enzymatic cleaner: Enzymatic cleaners are specifically designed to break down pet urine and other organic odors.
- Ventilate the area: If the odor is caused by moisture, it’s important to ventilate the area to prevent mold and mildew growth. You can do this by opening windows and doors, or by using a fan.
- Use a dehumidifier: A dehumidifier can help to remove moisture from the air, which can help to prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Air out the furniture: If the odor is coming from furniture, you can air it out by taking it outside or by opening the windows in the room.
- Use baking soda: Baking soda is a natural odor absorber. You can sprinkle baking soda on the affected area and let it sit for several hours, then vacuum it up.
- Use vinegar: Vinegar is another natural odor absorber. You can mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle, then spray the affected area. Let the vinegar sit for several minutes, then wipe it up.
If you’re not sure how to remove the odor, you can always ask a real estate agent for advice. They will be able to tell you what is likely to work best for your specific situation.
If you’re looking to sell a house fast in Charleston, SC, and it has a bad smell, we can help! We buy houses, mobile homes, and land in any condition, and we can close quickly. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you sell your house, even if it has unpleasant odors!